Answers to your Bunk Bed Questions
We have identified the most frequently asked product-orientated questions that you may have so that you can make an informed bunk bed buying decision.
To provide the low prices that we offer, we do not have a customer telephone support team to take calls and answer questions over the phone. Lower overhead costs equals lower prices for you. Your questions are best answered via e-mail, so Contact us. You can also choose to leave us a voice mail at our toll-free # 1 888 600 1225, however as we do not have a customer telephone service team, your voicemail may not be answered immediately.
You may also find answers to your ordering, payment, shipping, and returns questions at our – Sales Information section.
To provide safe support for a standard twin mattress, all of our bunks come with 28 slats - 14 for each bunk bed. Bunkie boards are upholstered boards that look like a flat box spring – Bunkie mattresses have a bunkie board built into the base of a twin mattress. We do not sell bunkie boards or bunkie mattresses as we provide a full set of slats with all of our beds.
All of our bunk beds are made from plantation-grown Brazilian pine for strength and resilience. Real wood, no particle board or MDF (medium density particle board). The only exception is that we use MDf for the bottom of the drawers for added strength and to reduce warping.
Instructions and hardware are included in the headboard box – all you need is a screwdriver with a Phillips head and a hammer. We recommend that 2 people assemble the beds and allow yourself 2 to 4 hours to complete the task.
Yes -The factories that manufacture bunk beds do so to our specifications to ensure that not only do the bunk beds look and feel comfortable but that they are also safe for everyday use by you and your children. In addition, every bunk bed model we sell has been tested by an independent laboratory to ensure it complies with federal safety standards for bunk beds.
These standards include the ASTM F-1427-06 "Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Bunk Beds", the government code of federal regulations for Entrapment Hazards in Bunk Beds, and the Government Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1513 - Requirements for Bunk Beds. All bunk beds we sell have been tested by an independent laboratory and are in compliance with the ASTM F-1427 standard consumer safety specification for bunk beds and the government code of federal regulations 1213 and 1513.
In addition, all of the paints and finishes used in the manufacture of our beds have been certified to conform to US Standards in relation to heavy metals as determined by EN-71, NBR NM 300, ASTM F963-03/07, and 16CFR 1303 Ban of Lead containing paints.
The paints used pass the required federal lead tests and are formaldehyde free. However, like the vast majority of bunk beds sold in the USA, the paints and finishes are not classified as containing low VOC / no VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds). People that are highly sensitive to chemicals (they will know that from their previous experiences) should choose a bed painted with low VOC paint.
- An adult should always supervise children's use of bunk beds.
- Do not allow children under 6 years of age to use the upper bunk.
- Prohibit more than one person on the upper bunk.
- Always use guardrails on both long sides of the upper bunk.
- Use of a night light may provide added safety for a child using the upper bunk.
- Use only the proper size mattress as recommended by the manufacturer
- Ensure the thickness of the mattress and foundation combined is at least 5 inches below the top of the guardrails
- If the bunk bed will be placed next to the wall, the guardrail that runs the full length of the bed should be placed against the wall to prevent entrapment between the bed and the wall.
- Prohibit horseplay on or under the beds. Always prohibit jumping on the bed.
- Always use the ladder for entering and leaving the upper bunk
- Never attach or hang items to any part of the bunk bed that is not designed for use with the bed. For example, but not limited to, hooks, belts, and jump ropes.
- The use of a water or sleep flotation mattress is prohibited.
- Follow the information on the warning labels on the upper bunk bed structure and the carton. Do not remove the warning label from the bed.
- Periodically check and ensure that the guardrails, ladder, and other components are in their proper position, free from damage, and that all connectors are tight.
- Do not use substitute parts. Contact the manufacturer or dealer for replacement parts.
As recommended by the Federal standards for bunk beds, children under the age of 6 years should not use the top bunk.
We suggest 175 lbs for the top bunk, 200 lbs for the bottom bunk, and 175 lbs for the trundle.
You will often see beds advertised as 400 lbs for the top bunk, but be careful when buying one of these bunk beds. All bunks (including Bunk Bed King bunk beds) require annual certification by an independent testing lab. One of the tests is to place 400 lbs in weights evenly distributed on the top bunk to test the bed's strength. All of our beds pass this test, but this does not mean a 400 lb person should be using the top or bottom bunk.
A standard twin mattress (39 x 75 inches) and/or a full-size mattress (54 x 75 inches) will work with our bunks. Please follow the instructions on the warning label on the bunk as regards the thickness of the mattress.
Sorry, no customization. What you see on our website are all of the items we stock.
We do not sell black bunk beds. Limited styles are available at Amazon.
Yes, Trundles and Drawers are available in a dark cherry, gray, and white finish. They will fit all the bunk beds we sell.
We aim to accurately reflect the finish colors on all of our items. However, colors on your screen may not reflect actual colors due to differences in monitors and computer settings. Swatches and wood samples are available.
We no longer sell full-size Captains beds. These are available on Amazon. We do have Twin Captains Beds for sale with a twin trundle and 3 drawers.
We do not sell queen or king-size bunk beds. A very limited range is available at Amazon.
We do not sell dressers or chests.
If the bed was purchased from us, we can supply replacement parts. Please email us detailing the parts you need, a picture of the manufacturer's label on the top bunk, and the name of the person who purchased the bed.
We do not sell full-size loft beds. We have recently introduced loft beds with stairs. with the added option of a tent.