Bunk Bed King - Guide to Bunk Bed Safety, Selection and Assembly
Bunk beds are a great solution to many problems. Your kids have been begging you for a more fun option at bedtime. Your family has expanded (but your bedrooms haven't). Maybe your cabin or summer house needs to sleep more without sacrificing space. With our wide selection of sizes you have more options than ever before. Like other furniture purchases, you will want to consider style, color and price. Make sure that your new bed will fit into your budget and your home. However, your bunk bed has to serve a more important function than just looking great. After all, this is where your loved ones are going to be spending 1/3 of their day. To help, we have prepared 3 bunk bed guides to help you through the process. Keep reading or jump to specific sections:
Also, remember that answers to your bunk bed questions may be found in the FAQS section. Information on ordering, payments, shipping and returns is available under Sales Information. Bunk Bed King manages to keep prices low and quality high because we deal directly with the manufacturer. The savings of not using a middleman are passed on to you our customer. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to Contact Us.
Bunk Bed King - Guide to Bunk Bed Safety
Bunk beds can be a great choice to maximize space in a fun way. But the raised design comes with a certain amount of risk. Every bunk bed model we sell has been tested by an independent laboratory to ensure it is in compliance with the ASTM F-1427-06 "Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Bunk Beds". This is the government code of federal regulations for Entrapment Hazards in Bunk Beds and the Government code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1513 - Requirements for Bunk Beds. Once you have bought a bunk bed that conforms to safety standards, it is up to you to ensure that the bunk bed is put together properly and safely and to prohibit horseplay on or near the beds.
- An adult should always supervise children's use of bunk beds
- Children under 6 years of age should not be on the top bunk
- Make sure that the room you plan to put the bunk bed in is tall enough to accommodate it
- Use guard rails on both sides of upper bunk
- Use only the proper size mattress as recommended by the manufacturer
- Ensure the thickness of the mattress and foundation combined is at least 5 inches below the top of the guardrails
- Prohibit more than one person on the upper bunk
- Prohibit horseplay on or under the beds
- Always use the ladder for entering and leaving the upper bunk
- Never attach or hang items to any part of the bunk bed that are not designed for use with the bed. For example, but not limited to, hooks, belts and jump ropes
Bunk Bed King wants your child to be safe, and with that in mind we include wooden slats with every bed we sell so that the mattress is secure with no need for a bunkie board or bunkie mattress. Additionally, our bunks are made out of solid pine wood, rather than particle board or MDF, for added safety and sturdiness.
Bunk Bed King - Guide to Bunk Bed Selection
Let the fun part begin! Our many options let you choose a bunk bed that will look great no matter your budget. The three main things to look at are Size, Style and Color.
Size: It is important to figure out exactly what you want from your bunk bed. With Twin over Twin, Twin over Full and Full over Full sizes, most of your sleep needs are covered. Make sure to measure your room (don't forget the ceiling!) before purchasing your bunk bed to make sure it will fit comfortably. Also, all of our bunk beds can be separated into two beds, perfect for when the kids or the house get bigger. (Please keep in mind that the top bunk foot board of the Stairway and Side Ladder beds will have a gap for the stairway/ladder).
Style: You have more choices than ever before! The clean, simple lines of the Mission bunk bed never go out of style, but new options like the Stairway bunks are fun while also giving extra storage. Adding a twin trundle or under bed drawers maximizes space and looks great. We even have Tall bunk beds for extra head room on the bottom bunk.
Color: Choosing a color is completely up to you! We try to offer our bunk beds in as many color options as possible. Bright White and warm golden Honey are always popular. Our Expresso finish is a dark oak color and Cappuccino is a deep coffee-colored brown.
Bunk Bed King - Guide to Bunk Bed Assembly
You have checked the bunk bed you have bought follows the proper Safety regulations. You have gone through agonizing decisions over Color and Style. The kids have opened all the boxes and it is in pieces all over your floor. Where to begin.
- Move all the boxes to the room where the bunk bed will live. It's almost impossible to get a finished bunk bed through most doorways.
- Check to make sure none of the pieces are damaged or missing. Use the assembly instructions as a guide.
- Follow the instructions. It will also help to sort and identify each piece of hardware before assembly. Two people working on the assembly are better than one. Assembly instructions are included with the hardware for each bunk bed.
- When all the pieces are put together, double-check that all the screws are securely tightened. Recheck after a couple of weeks of use to make sure everything is safe.
- Place the mattresses on the bunks. Read the bunk bed rules printed on the bed to your kids. Then enjoy!